THE NEXT DOOR, Inc.
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & DEVELOPMENT
Location: Hood River or The Dalles, definitely a mix of the two
Work Schedule: Full-time: 40 hours per week
Salary Range: $63,648 - $74,880/annually ($30.60 - $36.00/hour)
Benefits: Generous Health/Dental, Life, Long Term Disability, Retirement, Vacation, Sick, Holiday
Reports to: Executive Director
Why would you want to work at The Next Door?
Hopefully you want to work at The Next Door because you share our vision of a supportive community here all children and families are safe, healthy and valued. Every day, we work towards making this vision a reality, by having integrity and by living our core values of being welcoming, just, empathetic, empowering and flexible. If you like to work in an environment where you’ll be learning right alongside our program participants—The Next Door is the place for you!
Why would you want to be the Director of Marketing & Development at The Next Door?
It’s because you love people! You want to share all the good work that we do at The Next Door with our community neighbors and partners, and you want them to join us as donors, foster parents, mentors and volunteers. You are not afraid of public speaking and you enjoy meeting new people—in fact, the thought of being a spokesperson for our great organization thrills you! You value working in a lively, ever-changing environment with lots of interaction--talking as well as writing. You enjoy helping your co-workers so they can be effective and productive in their jobs. Most importantly, you want to help guide The Next Door as we continue to help our community.
Who is The Next Door looking for?
We are looking for someone who thinks critically and analytically--someone who is respectful, intuitive and honest. We’re looking for someone who loves being part of a team and enjoys interacting with their team members: coaching them when needed, stepping back when appropriate and never needing to take undue credit. We’re also looking for someone who is detail-oriented, very organized, knows how to prioritize tasks, and can work with all kinds of electronics—email, apps, social media, and computer software.
What will you do as the Director of Marketing & Development?
Development & Fundraising (40%):
- With the other Directors, contribute to a positive, strong organizational culture that helps all employees feel valued and helps attract and retain talented, caring staff.
- Work with the Development Team and Board of Directors to raise money from individuals, companies, foundations and government departments.
- Maintain contact with donors; building relationships, asking for donations, and keeping them informed of what’s happening at The Next Door.
- Write fundraising letters, newsletters and other forms of communication with donors.
- Build relationships with private foundations.
- Research, write, edit, compile and submit grant proposals and subsequent reports to private foundations and government departments.
- Oversee the Salesforce fundraising database, ensuring the timely distribution of thank you letters with tax receipts and recording of grant-related information.
- Actively spend time “out and about” in the community, promoting The Next Door’s vision and mission.
Supervision of the Development Team (15%):
- Recruit foster parents, mentors, volunteers and donors from the community.
- Train co-workers and Board members to communicate the agency’s key messages.
- Oversee public relations and media communications to keep the agency’s name and achievements alive in the minds of our neighbors, donors and partners.
- Oversee content for the agency’s website, newsletters, and social media outlets and development and distribution of all the agency’s collateral materials like brochures.
Budgeting & Management (5%):
- Coach, mentor, and motivate staff in the Development Department, including the Development Coordinator, Grant Writer, and Development Officer.
What are the skills and education you’ll need as Director of Marketing & Development
- Work with the Finance Department to develop the annual development budget and then make sure there is adequate control and accounting of funds.
What are the Core Competencies that The Next Door expects of all its Employees?
- Accredited Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field;
- 5+ years of marketing and/or fundraising experience;
- Experience supervising people;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to engage and inspire a wide range of audiences;
- Creative skills and experience in producing innovative written materials to stimulate interest on the part of potential funding sources who may be indifferent to the agency’s mission;
- A strong understanding of what fundraising is all about, especially asking people for donations, or the willingness to learn.
What are the Physical Demands of the Director of Marketing & Development
- Problem Solving
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Motivating and Inspiring Others
- Equity & Inclusion
- Business Acumen & Financial Stewardship
- Leadership & Development
What’s The Next Door’s Disclaimer?
- Must be able to type at a computer, sitting or standing, for several hours at a time
- May lift materials/equipment weighing up to 20 pounds
- Effective use of laptop, cell phone and other mobile devices to exchange information
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The Next Door offers a casual, pet-friendly environment. To learn more about us, visit http://nextdoorinc.org
How do you apply for this position?
To apply: Go to http://nextdoorinc.org/employment
and submit: Cover Letter+ Resume+ Employment App.
The Next Door is an Equal Opportunity Employer, one that appreciates differences and creates opportunities for staff to interact with people who do not look like, talk like, think like, believe like, act like, or live like they do.